Blogmas Day 19 // Currently Reading

I wasn't too sure what to post for today, so I thought I'd go back to basics and give you an update on what I'm currently reading at the moment.

The only book I'm reading at the moment for recreational reasons is Lena Dunham's Not That Kind of Girl. I know there's been some controversy surrounding this book and although I don't agree with everything Lena says, I am actually enjoying it. I'm reading it on Kindle which is a bit of a pain because she's included quite a few footnotes which you have to keep clicking on and that kind of disrupts the reading flow a little.

I think I'm about a third of the way through and I've just started the second section about body. Lena's got a really great voice when it comes to this book and it does feel like a casual conversation between the pair of you. However, in the body section she included around a week's worth of food diaries to showcase her attitude to dieting etc. and it just felt completely unnecessary. Quite honestly, I got a little bored and skipped past the last four days. I didn't really care whether she'd eaten a quarter of a peach at 11pm or not. Other than that though, I do like it and I'm looking forward to continuing.

Whilst I'm not currently reading any novels cover to cover, I am dipping in and out of textbooks. The little poetry guide I have for my English Lit course is really handy and has been helping me to add to my notes. We haven't written a practice poetry question yet, so I'm relying quite heavily on my notes so that I know these poems well enough to discuss one in the mock.

I am planning on picking up Wild Swans  by Jung Chang soon. I borrowed it from my history teacher with the intention of reading it over the Christmas holidays to give me some more inside knowledge for when we come back. It is a little chunky, but I've heard that Chang has an easy writing style so hopefully I can fly through most of it!

That's my reading plans for the next week, I think. Tell me about your reading plans below!

Happy reading,
Amelia x

Comments

Popular Posts