Blogmas Day 10 // Feminist Lit // The Spinster Club

The very first feminist book I ever willingly read was Am I Normal Yet? by Holly Bourne. It changed my life. Seriously. I don't think I'd be the feminist I am today or have the beliefs I do if it hadn't been for this wonderful trilogy.

Originally, this was going to be a review, but really all I want to do is gush about this series so that's what I'm going to do.

My favourite thing about this trilogy is the way it connected me to other people. I first heard about Normal when I went to friend's house to meet one of her other friends. Our mutual friend had been planning for us to meet as we all discussed feminism and how to destroy the patriarchy and she thought it would be wonderful for us to meet. We had a lovely evening filled with cookies, discussion and movies. As I left, my new friend thrust Am I Normal Yet? into my hands and told me I needed to read it. I did and loved it. Weeks after giving it back, I'd bought my own copy and went to listen to Holly Bourne speak at a little event in London. It was wonderful and I got my book signed and I couldn't wait for the sequel.

Am I Normal Yet? follows Evie who is recovering from OCD as she starts sixth form and makes new friends in Lottie and Amber. Together they form a Spinster Club where they meet up and discuss feminism. It's a wonderful book and each of the sequels follows a different girl. In How Hard Can Love Be? we see Amber travel to America and deal with her family problems. The final book in the trilogy, What's a Girl Gotta Do? follows Lottie's #vagilante project where she has to call out every instance of sexism that she sees. There's also a novella called ...And a Happy New Year? which I haven't read yet, but I'm absolutely desperate to! Well, I'm also scared as I'm so not ready to say goodbye to these girls yet.

These books are so easily accessible to young people and the bright covers will surely draw you in. In fact, I think this might be a great place to start if you want to find out about feminism and get involved with fighting for equality. I believe What's A Girl Gotta Do? has also been nominated for the Carnegie medal and I'm really hoping it'll be shortlisted and more people will be encouraged to read this fantastic series!

I don't know what you're still doing here, go read this awesome trilogy right now! If you've already read these books, let me know in the comments what you thought of them so we can have a little discussion!

Happy reading,
Amelia x

Comments

Popular Posts