Bring on 2017

Hi 2017, it's nice to meet you.

After the disaster that was 2016, I thought that on the very first day of 2017 I'd give you a little run-down of the (bookish) resolutions I want to keep throughout the year. Hopefully, I'll do a catch up post halfway through the year to see what progress I've made. So, there's no point hanging around, let's get started!

1. Read 70 books. A very strange thing has been happening to my reading over the last year. At the end of 2015 I'd read 122 books. But, at the end of 2016 I've read 79. This is by no means a bad thing, but I have read a third less books than in 2016. I don't want to pressure myself to read too much, and I do want to read some chunkier books in 2017 so I thought that 70 books would be a reasonable goal. It will be a busy year as I'll have my AS exams and then will start learning content for my A-Level exams in the latter part of the year.

2. Read more non-fiction. In terms of branching my reading out, I realised that throughout the last couple of years I have read little to none non-fiction. I'd like to change this in 2017 and I'll probably pick up some feminist non-fiction from the library as I don't have many on my TBR and don't want to be picking up too many books to put on my shelves this year. Non-fiction is an important genre and I think it would really help to widen my view of the world as well as just making me more well-rounded. I don't want to set a number of books to read but I think I'd like to read at least 5 non-fiction books, just as a starting point.

3. Cut down my TBR. At the end of 2015 I had a very reasonable TBR and was doing okay at keeping the number manageable. However, as 2016 began and continued I kept buying books or reading things that didn't cut my TBR down. It was also when I got my Kindle and suddenly had access to many books that I'd bought at cheap prices. By the end of 2017 I think it would be completely possible to get my physical TBR down to 10 books. I've already pulled out around 12 physical books I want to read off my shelves, and that leaves very few unread on my shelves. In terms of Kindle books, I'm getting a little ambitious when I say that I'd like to only have 20 unread books on my Kindle. That means I'll have to do the majority of my reading on my Kindle this year.

4. Watch 100 movies. I've seen a few people with this challenge and I think it would be a great little task to try and complete. I probably won't take it to seriously, but I think it would be fun as well to have movie wrap ups on my blog as well. Often, I don't watch movies too critically but I would like to discuss the different films I've seen as I think I've been getting more emotionally attached to characters now. Also, I'm always interested in branching out my blog content and trying new things.

5. Blog at least 3 times a month. Speaking of blogging, I know that this goal is extremely low, and I'll hopefully do Blogmas again so it shouldn't be too hard, but I do want to get on top of my blog. For Christmas, my friends got me this wonderful notebook that I've started using to put all my blog post ideas into. I'm trying to work out a weekly schedule as well. I think I should be uploading every Monday and Wednesday at 5pm GMT. This works quite nicely and it means that I should really only have to write them the weekend before and schedule them. I think this should work well and give me a break from homework as well.

Okay, so there's 5 reasonably bookish goals. The T5W topic this week is also resolutions, but I've come up with some different options for those and I hope that you'll enjoy reading those as well. Have a lovely day <3

Happy reading,
Amelia

Comments

Popular Posts