Top 5 // Favourite Movies

In last week's post I mentioned some of my all time favourite movies, so I thought that this week I would go into a bit more depth about the movies I love and why.

5. Easy A
Okay, so who doesn't love Emma Stone? This is my favourite movie that Stone has ever been in and I love how this movie speaks out on everything wrong with slut-shaming. Being a feminist probably helps me to appreciate this movie, but the funny dialogue, wicked wardrobe and great cast are also a few of the reasons I love to watch this movie. Funnily enough, I haven't read The Scarlet Letter which is heavily referenced throughout this movie, so maybe I'll get to that this year?

4. Suffragette
So, I've already mentioned I'm a feminist and I'm glad to see that hasn't put you off, and that you're sticking around for more. It seems kind-of a no-brainer to put this movie on this list. Great cast? Check. Brilliant message? Check. Well executed? Check. This movie has everything I'm looking for. Heck, I was even brought to tears! (Well, it was more like welling up, but my point still stands). This is a movie about empowerment and how fighting for your beliefs is worthwhile.

3. V For VendettaImage result for v for vendetta
From my number 4 pick you may be able to tell that I'm all about political rebellions. Well, maybe not personally partaking in them, but I like stories about people coming together to overthrow unfair governments or governments listening to their people. Therefore, this movie is a great example of what I like to see. I think it's incredibly powerful that we never find out who exactly V is and I think it's incredible that your face doesn't have to be "human" for people to follow you. This movie packs a real punch, and I love it for that.

2. Brokeback Mountain
If I'm completely honest, I got a bit bored watching this movie, but the story has stayed with me. It's so powerful and raw and complex that I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't be moved by this artful movie. Not only is the story great, but there's so many beautiful shots of the mountains. This was also the first (and maybe only) movie I've watched where the main couple are gay. Considering that this movie came out in 2005, I was quite surprised about the love story. This was because in 2005, I was a young child and hadn't even been taught about sexuality so when I compared myself now, watching it, I think about what it would've been like if I'd watched this the year it came out.

1. 10 Things I Hate About You
This has been my favourite movie for a while now. I haven't had the urge to shift the rankings within the past 6 months, at all. The reason I love this movie is how quirky it is. First of all, it's based on a Shakespeare play that's rather misogynistic, so the plot had to be changed to make it relatable for a modern audience, whilst also regaining its main themes. Again, the cast is wonderful and you may have guessed from my top 2 picks that I have a slight love for the late Heath Ledger. This movie was one of the first many of the cast ever took part in and it's incredible to see how they started to where they are now. I'd recommend this movie to you if you enjoy Shakespeare, gorgeous smiles, serenades and love stories.

There you have it, my top 5 favourite movies! What topics do you want to see next on Top 5?

Happy Reading,
Ax

Comments

Popular Posts