The Classic Back To School Reading Slump

Each year when I go back to school I notice a trend. It's not the crazy excitement levels for new stationery (although that does still happen every year) or the nervous frenzy of seeing everyone again. No, it's the annual reading slump.

This year, I noticed it quite early on, and this was probably down to the fact that I'd started sixth form and as I had a new (larger) workload I had to focus on that more. There was also the fact that I had to start reading the books on my English Lit reading list. When I started sixth form I was reaching the end of A Storm of Swords and this should've only taken me a week, at the most, to finish. Despite the great size of the ASOIAF series, they make surprisingly fast reads. However, it took me until halfway through September to finish. I'm going to put this down to the fact that I was doing a lot more homework each night when I got in from school and by the time I'd settled down in bed to relax, I didn't want to stare at any more words.

What do you do when a reading slump hits? I rode it out in true fashion by overlooking my book in favour of BookTube videos. This meant that I still felt reasonably bookish, but I wasn't actually reading anything at my usual pace.

Luckily for me, a reading miracle occurred which has risen me out of the slump and back into reading (albeit my pace is still slacking). Many months ago, I'd reserved The Last Star by Rick Yancey at the library and at the beginning of October it was ready for me to collect. This was by no means an excellent book, but this was exactly what I needed at this time. The plot was fast, I didn't need to get reacquainted with the characters and I could just dive straight in. I'm so glad that this book came to me when it did, and it's always wonderful finding books at the right moments of your reading life. Right now, I'm reading The Fortune Hunter by Daisy Goodwin who actually created the ITV show Victoria which I'm loving but am also many, many episodes behind in.

Hopefully I'll be back to my usual reading pace soon - probably once I know how to effectively balance school work with pleasure!

How do you get out of a reading slump?

Happy reading,
Amelia x

Comments

Popular Posts