Recommendations // The Random Trinity

Hey guys,
So it's been a while and I still don't have this blog thing completely sorted out! I'm *reasonably* active on other social medias (Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr) so if I start lacking on the blog posts feel free to message me and remind me to post!

Since I've been gone for a while, I thought I'd recommend some books and movies and music etc etc that I have been reading/watching/listening recently and hope you will all enjoy. Let's get started

Oh, before we start, on a completely unrelated note: I had my first exam today! Eek! I have to say it wasn't the easiest but the Twitter accounts (search #igcseenglish) have been keeping my mood up! Would you like to see some revision/exam related posts? That could come in quite handy for those of you that are doing your GCSEs like me.

Back to the point of all this...

BOOKS

1. The Manifesto on How to be Interesting by Holly Bourne 
I'm not sure if you know this, but Holly Bourne's Normal series is my favourite series of all time, and I thought I'd give some of her other books a go. This was not a disappointment. I love Bree and the social messages this story speaks out about. I think this would be a good one for those who are fans of the Breakfast Club and Mean Girls.

2. Thor: Goddess of Thunder by Jason Aaron 
This is the year of excellent comics/graphic novels for me. I've read the first part of Persepolis and also the manga for Clockwork Angel, both of which I enjoyed; but it was Thor that I truly connected with. Yes, I will admit that I'm a fan of the Marvel Movies and that did bias me slightly. Chris Hemsworth is hot, okay? But these stories are excellent. I really enjoyed that I didn't have to read any of the original stories to start this series as the whole background is filled in as you go along.

3. The Trouble with Women by Jacky Fleming 
Okay, so I'm a bit of a feminist, me (blog post on that later?) and I'm always on a look out for feminist books. Now, this book is such a gem. It's a satire-comic-extravaganza about how women weren't really mentioned in history until reasonably recently and whether or not women can be geniuses. Highly amusing. And, I bought this from a great independent second hand bookshop in London called Skoob Books where I had the most fun!

MOVIES

1. Stretch starring Chris Pine and Patrick Wilson
This movie is bloody crazy. I'm not even too sure why I'm recommending it! But I know that whilst watching it, this movie was a lot of fun and although I may not watch it again, I feel like it brightened up my Friday evening.

2. Not Another Happy Ending starring Karen Gillan and Stanley Weber
Holy shit, this is my new favourite movie. I watched this after seeing Leena over at justkissmyfrog rave about it and boy, was she right. Karen Gillan (Amy Pond - winner already) is a new writer who gets writers block and *hates* her publisher (hot French guy Stanley Weber - seriously, my new #mcm). It's a lovely story and I want to re-watch it all the time.

3. Ashby starring Nat Wolff and Mickey Rourke
I'm not going to lie, I watched the trailed for this on YouTube and really enjoyed it and then saw it available on Sky Demand so me and my family watched it. It's quite a sad story, actually, but I think it's a good one. Wolff is an American Football player but he really doesn't fit into the stereotype which was refreshing as I'd only seen films where football players are jocks and jerks. Not cool bro.

MUSIC

1. Hamilton by Lin-Manuel Miranda
Need I say more?

2. Beautiful Lies by Birdy
I've been a fan of Birdy from the beginning and I have to say that I have not yet been disappointed by an album of hers. Sure, there have been the odd few songs I don't particularly like, but overall I think her albums are beautiful. I haven't got any favourites yet as I haven't listened to the album in full yet, but I'll update you when I know more.

3. To Pimp A Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar
Now, I have to say that rap music isn't my first love. Neither is it my second. But, I was interested in Kendrick after seeing his Grammy performance of Alright and so I took a look at the album it came from. Kendrick isn't the first person I turn to when I want to listen to some music, but he's definitely becoming a firm favourite.


I hope you enjoyed these random recommendations and have hopefully found something amongst these 9 things that you might try out!

Happy reading!
A x

Comments

Popular Posts