Bookish Musings // Reading Slumps

When the days started getting shorter, the evenings becoming darker; I thought it would be the perfect setting to get some proper reading done. I'd saved a lot of my bigger TBR books to the end of the year so I could plough through them indoors with a nice cup of tea. But, maybe I put too much pressure on myself to read all of those books.

Most months I'm able to read around 10 books, but this October, I'm struggling to finish 5. This may be because I've completed my GoodReads challenge *pats self on the back* but I don't know whether it's just because I've had enough of reading for the moment.

The problem is, a lot of the books on my shelf have been there for a while and I haven't been able to pick them up any sooner. My more recent purchases are looking more exciting to me and I would like to read some of the more recently published books. At the same time, I don't like my books to sit on my shelves for too long so I try to read them in the order I bought them. This usually means I harbour quite an interest in the books I own to read without that excitement fading.

Unfortunately, autumn is a good time to curl up with some BookTube videos and movies so reading may sit on the backburner for a while before I fully commit back to it after I've taken a break.

Reading slumps can be quite a good thing as they allow you to rediscover new hobbies and activities that you may not have become involved in if you had your head stuck in a book. I'm not saying I'm going to continue to keep my reading to a minimum, but merely that I think it's a good thing to embrace the slump and take something from it.

What's your opinion on reading slumps?

A x

Comments

Popular Posts