Blogmas Day 17 // Feminist Lit // TBR

Hello and good morning/afternoon/evening! By the time you'll be reading this I'll have seen Rogue One! But, as I'm pre-writing, you'll have to wait to hear what I thought of it. I really hope I like it!

I wanted to continue with the theme of feminist lit but instead of telling you about a book I've read, I thought it would be interesting to discuss some books that I'd like to read. Unfortunately my FemLit shelf is looking a little empty as I don't really own that many feminist books as this was a reasonably new awakening for me, but I hope that in 2017 onward I'll be picking up more FemLit - whether that's from the shop or library waits to be seen!


Currently, there are two books on my shelf that I want to get to in terms of FemLit. The first of those is Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own which is all about women needing their own space to be able to work efficiently. I haven't read any Woolf yet, but I'm trying to find a time when I can sit down and read it in one sitting. I've heard from a couple of people that it's best to do that.


The other book currently sitting on my shelf is No Surrender by Constance Maud. This is the only book from the Persephone bookshop that I own (although I'd love to collect more) and its end papers are decorated in Suffragette colours. I have a feeling that this one might take me a little while to get through and I'm unsure whether it will be to my liking. But hey, I've got to give it a go!


So those are the books that I currently own and want to read, but now it's time to have a little look at the books I'm looking at either purchasing or borrowing in the relatively new future.

The first of these is Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates. There's a copy of this in the school library (which I'm so impressed with considering it's an all boys school) and I would like to take it out. The first time I heard about this book was years ago when someone mentioned the project online, it's been on my radar ever since and I can't believe I haven't read it yet! I'm pretty sure this will be an eye-opening read and remind me of why I'm a feminist and that the little things do matter.

The other book I'd like to look at reading is I Call Myself A Feminist which is a collection of 25 essays from different women. Hopefully, the women who wrote these essays come from a range of backgrounds and I'll get a really well-rounded sense of the issues. If it isn't as diverse as I'd like, then I'll make sure that this will be a key thing that I'll look out for in future reading of FemLit.

I hope you've enjoyed this little look into my feminist TBR and who knows, maybe you'll see a review for one of them soon enough! If you have any recommendations or have read any of the books yourself, I'd really enjoy hearing your views and opinions in the comments below.

Happy reading,
Amelia x

Comments

Popular Posts